Food Grade Talc is a mineral based filler and extender that is widely used in the manufacturing of confectioneries, flours, pulses and other food products.
What is Talc Powder?
Talc Powder is a powdered, selected, natural, Hydrated Magnesium Silicate in its purest form. It is used in a variety of industries. It is white-coloured, soft, chemically inert, lamellar, opaque, hydrophobic and organophilic. Talc is declared safe for use in foods and pharmaceuticals and by regulating bodies around the world.
What is FOOD GRADE Talc?
Talc / Talcum
Purified Talc / Talcum
|Feeling to Touch||Soft and Slippery|
|Chemical Composition||Hydrated Magnesium Silicate |
[H2Mg3(SiO3)4 or Mg3Si4O10(OH)2]
[Platy & Layered]
[On Mohs Scale of 1 – 10]
|Specific Gravity||2.5 – 2.8 |
|Loss on Ignition||NMT 7.00%|
|Loss on Drying||NMT 1.00%|
|Magnesium Oxide [MgO]||NLT 30.00%|
|Silica Di-Oxide [SiO2]||NLT 60.00%|
|Iron [Fe2O3]||NMT 10 PPM|
|Calcium [CaO]||NMT 1.00%|
|Aluminum [Al2O3]||NMT 2.00%|
|Lead||NMT 10 PPM|
|Water Soluble Salts||NMT 0.20% |
[Hydrophobic / Water Repellent]
|Acidity / Alkalinity||NMT 0.3 ml of 0.1 M Hydrochloric acid required to turn the solution of material + water to acidic|
|Acid Soluble Substances||NMT 2.0%|
[Chemical Inert / Unreactive]
|8.5 – 9.5 |
|Mesh||325 [NMT 1.00% Retention]|
Manufacturing Food Grade Talc?
First and foremost, at APJ Industries Pvt. Ltd., we purchase only the highest grade of Talc lumps to manufacture our Food Grade Talc. After purchase, we perform a second round of dressing and sorting on these lumps. This helps to segregate away even the smallest of impurities from these lumps which the miners might leave behind. Following that, we run the lumps through a Jaw Crusher which breaks down the crude lumps into gravel form. Thereafter, we feed the gravel into a high speed and industrial sized Hammer Mill, which pulverises it into fine powder. Our mill is equipped with a customization ready air-classifier, which ensures that we achieve desired fineness.
Even after all these processes, the job of converting regular Talc Powder into Food Grade Talc is not over. Infact, at APJ Industries Pvt. Ltd., we go a step further and sterilize this packed material in our fully automatic ETO Sterilizer, which eliminates any microbial growth present in the material as well as prevents future growth of the same.
After a complete and wholesome testing of the material in our state-of-the-art inhouse laboratory, we dispatch the material as Food Grade Talc to our customers. Each batch comes with a unique Certificate of Analysis which is available to customers on demand.
FSSAI License for Food Grade Talc
As a result of exceptionally good manufacturing practices followed at APJ Industries Pvt. Ltd., within a short period of its establishment, we have acquired the approval and license from Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. As result, we are now one of the very few companies in India that are recognized for the purpose of manufacturing talc powder for food processing industry.
Applications of Talc in Food
- Food Grade Talc has a smooth and lamellar (platy and layered) structure. Consequently, when applied to the outer surface of pulses, it provides a shiny polish. Additionally, it prevents stickiness between pulses, beans or candies.
- Since Talc is organophilic in nature, it combines extremely well with polymers derived from natural or synthetic resins. Therefore, it is a critical filler which provides bulk and texture to chewing gum bases.
- In comparison to other fillers, Food Grade Talc gives no reaction with the acidic flavours/ingredients and releases no Carbon Dioxide.
- Food Grade Talc is hydrophobic in nature. Hence, it functions as an anti-caking agent by coating other substances and making them water-repellent and prevents formation of lumps. For instance, this property of talc makes it ideal for usage in starch, chocolates, chewing gums, baked goods, dried fruits, rice, cheese, seasoning and table salt.
- Food Grade Talc ranks high in whiteness and brightness. Thus, it elevates the brightness of colours in food dyes while keeping them safe for human consumption.
Contact us to know more about our Food Grade Talc powder or to get a quote for the same.